Chippa beat Apex United 4-1 on penalties, after a goalless draw to clinch their maiden Engen Knockout Challenge title. Chippa beat Lion City 5-3 on penalties in the semi-final.
Watched by a capacity crowd all weekend, which included Clinton Larson, Head Coach of Chippa United’s PSL side, and pro-players Daine Klate, Denwin Farmer, Khanyisa Mayo and tournament ambassador Reneilwe Letsholonyane, the 16 teams competing for honours all produced excellent displays of football.
Bulela Mkandawire, Engen’s Brand & Sponsorship Manager said, “Through the Engen Knockout Challenge, the journey of success has kickstarted for these young men.
“We offer the platform, but all of the glory belongs to the players themselves; through their talent, skill and passion which will get them to the ultimate destination of football success,” added Mkandawire.
Port Elizabeth tournament director, Victor Burton, said the 2019 event produced the usual thrills and spills, whilst also continuing to be the training ground for future administrators, team managers, sports medical students and match officials. “The level and standard of this tournament keeps exceeding all our expectations,” he added.
While the spotlight shone on the champions, coach Neil Freek of Fairview Rovers, alluded to the passion, love, gratefulness, and togetherness of every team that partakes in the Engen Knockout Challenge, whether they win or lose. “We play together, we lose together, we cry together and stand together,” he commented. “This has been the attitude of every team that has taken part in the Port Elizabeth leg of the competition, the joy of having a tournament of this nature in the region and being able to play football.”
The journey to football success moved even closer for Sachin Felkers of Apex United who was named the Engen Knockout Challenge Player of the Tournament. “Sachin impressed with his work rate, his ability to score goals and the manner in which he influenced his teams’ performances throughout the tournament,” said Duncan Crowie, Head of the EKOC selection panel.
As regional champions, Chippa United qualify for the 2019 Engen Champ of Champs later this year. The PE-based team will be joined by the champions of Cape Town, Durban, Bloemfontein and Gauteng, who will all be determined over the coming weeks. Port Elizabeth Awards are as follows:
- Player of the tournament: Sachin Felkers (Apex United FC)
- Defender of the tournament: Lubabalo Mpofu (PE Sundowns FC)
- Midfielder of the tournament: Tsepang Matutu (Chippa United FC)
- Goalkeeper of the tournament: Reagan Steinberg (Apex United FC
- Golden Boot: Sachin Felkers (Apex United FC)
- Coach of the tournament: Sihle Bongo (Lion City FC)
- Fair Play team of the tournament: Fairview Rovers FC
- Referee of the tournament: Phumelelo Mvunyiswa
- Durban: Moses Mabhida Sports Complex 28-30 June 2019
- Bloemfontein: Siwelele Park 12-14 July 2019
- Johannesburg: Marks Park, Emmerentia 19–21 July 2019
- Cape Town: Langa Sports Complex 26–28 July 2019
Engen Soccer is on the following social media platforms, using the hashtags #YourJourneyStartsHere
- Facebook: Engen_Soccer
- Twitter: @SoccerEngen
- Instagram: @engen.sa