The One Club for Creativity
Type Directors Club names seven new board members
Starting two-year terms this month, the new members of the volunteer Advisory Board are:
- Douglas Davis, strategist, author, professor, City University of New York, New York
- Maria Doreuli, president, creative director, Contrast Foundry, Sunnyvale CA
- Kimya Ghandi, type designer, Mota Italic, Berlin
- Kara Gordon, type designer, Commercial Type, New York
- Elaine Lopez, designer, educator, Pratt Institute, New York
- Sol Matas, independent type designer, Berlin
- Trisha Tan, design director, Frog, New York
Continuing on the TDC Advisory Board are:
- Paul Carlos, principal, Pure+Applied, adjunct faculty, Parsons School of Design, The New School, New York
- Manija Emran, founder, creative director, Me & the Bootmaker, Los Angeles
- Zelda Harrison, principal, ZHarrison & Associates/ZELDESIGN, Los Angeles
- Jon Key, founder, Morcos Key, New York
- John Kudos, managing partner, KUDOS Design Collaboratory, KASA Collective, New York
- Saki Mafundikwa, founder, director, Zimbabwe Institute of Vigital Arts (ZIVA), Harare
- Joe Newton, designer, illustrator, educator, Anderson Newton Design, New York
- Christopher Sergio, vice president, group creative director, Henry Holt & Co/Macmillan Publishers, New York (also represents TDC on The One Club’s Board of Directors)
The diversity of the board extends well beyond where they are currently based, as many members are from, or active in, a number of other regions. For example, Maria Doreuli is from Russia, Kimya Ghandi is from India, Sol Matas is from Argentina, Manija Emran is from Afghanistan, and Trisha Tan is from Malaysia.
Rounding out the TDC team are two full-time staffers: Carol Wahler continues in her long-standing role as TDC executive director, and Ksenya Samarskaya, who was recently named to the new role of managing director.
Part of The One Club for Creativity, The Type Directors Club's whose mission is to support the global creative community - TDC is run as an autonomous organisation. The TDC Advisory Board serves to ideate, provide feedback, keep the organization relevant, and connect to different markets and demographics within the global type community.