#DesignIndaba2017: What is South Africa's most beautiful object?
This is what the 'Most Beautiful Object in South Africa’ is about – facilitating discussions around beauty and the public’s perception of it.
Ten celebrity influencers nominate what they think is the most beautiful object in South Africa, and the public then votes for their favourite of those nominated.
This year’s nominators include Mark Rautenbach, Loyiso Mkize, Inga Gubeka, Kevin Kimwelle, Blue Forest Collective, Nandi Mngoma, Mohau Modisakeng, Thebe Magugu, Caroline Vieira, and Nkuli Mlangeni.
The annual competition culminates in an exhibition showcasing the top 10 objects that have been nominated for 2017 and what they represent. It will take place at the Artscape during the Festival from 1 to 4 March, and will also be online as a 360° video tour.
This year’s nominations include:
- Butterfly Wall Installation by Mark Rautenbach
- Gqama Ntyatyambo by Loyiso Mkize
- Indalo Backpack by Inga Gubeka
- Joe Slovo West Community Project by Kevin Kimwelle
- Kariba Trailer by Blue Forest Collective
- Moroccan Magic Dress by Nandi Mngoma
- Sculpture From Lefa La Ntate Installation by Mohau Modisakeng
- The Hawkers Rocking Chair by Thebe Magugu
- The Rockpool Coffee Table by Caroline Vieira
- The Sankara Rug by Nkuli Mlangeni