The 2021 Luum Awards had 80 top-rate judges with the task of selecting the best creative promoting social and environmental issues, which are increasingly becoming of more interest to our society.
European agencies stood out in a competition with participation by agencies from 46 countries around the world, including South Africa.
The gold medals were distributed as follows in each category; 28 Essence of the Message, 25 Health & Wellness, 9 Causes, 10 Human Rights, 13 Planet, 12 Society, 11 Institutional Communications, 4 Designs for a Better World.
The European agencies that took home gold medals
- GettingBetter (Spain) won two golds with the case “#NoMoreMatildas” for AMIT,
- Edelman (United Kingdom) with the case “Wildlife Watch” for Samsung and with the case “#BuybackFriday” for Ikea,
- Bum Agency (Spain) with the case “We are creating a monster” for Agència Catalana de l'Aigua and with the case “Toxic relationship” for Badalona Mar,
- Nordlid (Denmark) with the case “Ask Before You Share” for Homme Homme Femme Femme / Save The Children,
- Bruketa&Zinic&Grey (Croatia) with the case “Drinkers Pay Their Way” for Croatian Institute for Public Health,
- Acuam (Spain) with the case “Pacientalia” for Acuam,
- Mindshare (Spain) with the case “The Ultimate safety test” for Volvo,
- Imille Srl (Italy) with the case “Instagram History” for Milan Stumbling Stones Committee,
- The Amazing Society (Sweden) with the case “Swan your life!” for Nordic Swan Ecolabel,
- Apple Tree (Spain) with the case “Retratos” for Bankinter,
- 360 Agency Berlin (Germany) with the case “The Beyond Your Clothes Campaign” for The European Union,
- Grow (Spain) with the case “Stay with me” for Spanish Red Cross,
- Jorge M. Rodrigo Ad Studio (Spain) with the case “Émile” for Campaign against suicide.
The golds shortlist distributed by networks
- Ogilvy (9),
- BBDO (8),
- DDB (7),
- Saatchi & Saatchi (6),
- Havas (5),
- Dentsu (4),
- VMLY&R (3),
- Cheil (3),
- McCann (2),
- Edelman (2)
- Mindshare (1)
The agencies in the network with the most gold medals
- ALMA DDB (USA),
- Dentsu Kenya/Tessera Communications,
- Garnier BBDO (Costa Rica),
- Havas Health & You (Brazil)
- M&C Saatchi (United Arab Emirates).
The agency that managed to take home the most gold medals was ALMA DDB (USA).
The independent agencies with the most gold medals were Inbrax (3), Porta (3), Limbiko (3).
The advertisers of the year
- Alcaldía de Guayaquil
- Change the Ref
- Red Cross
- Amnistía Internacional
- Malaria no more UK
- Taco Bell
Congratulations to the winning advertisers and cases that proved that advertising is a powerful agent of change and that it is much more than just promotion or branding tool.