Intervarsity beer brewing competition winners
The third Intervarsity Beer Brewing Challenge held at the Stellenbosch Lodge on Saturday 21 August 2010 was won by University of Pretoria, which won in two out of three categories to land the 2010 grand championship. The judging panel was made up of SAB Brewing experts together with members of the Home Brew Club in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
The University of Pretoria won the third Intrervarsity Beer Brewing Challenge. In the winning team were Paul Sonnendecker, Ryan Merckell, Tamzyn Levell, David Wilson and Jane Stamp.
The University of Pretoria's winning lager, ale and speciality beer in distinctive self designed bottles.
Each team member received R2000 donated by FoodBev Seta - IBD section, together with a team prize of R10 000 from SAB Newlands Brewery for further development of the university's microbrewery.
- Best of all beers: University of Pretoria
- Best of all labelled beers: University of KwaZulu-Natal Microbiology (Pietermaritzburg);
- Best "Lager": University of Limpopo;
- Runner Up in the Best "Lager": University of Witwatersrand;
- Best "Ale Beer Class": University of Pretoria;
- Runner Up in the "Ale Beer Class": University of Witwatersrand;
- Best "Specialty Beer Class": University of Pretoria;
- Runner Up in the "Specialty Beer Class": University of Witwatersrand.
The competition was organised in partnership with the South African Breweries (SAB), the FoodBev Seta and the Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD).