Pick n Pay has reopened the doors to its flagship On Nicol after a comprehensive revamp. The grocery retailer is promising shoppers an enhanced fresh food experience, a huge focus on product quality, an improved range, innovative third-party services and refreshed customer service.
The extensive upgrade at On Nicol expands on the retailer’s Next Generation store concept with a strong emphasis on fresh food and convenience to create a diverse food solution for customers under one roof.
The store’s bakery, deli and prepared meal counters have undergone significant upgrades to reflect more of an inspirational food market atmosphere, while new speciality areas have been added to include a freshly squeezed juice offering, a chocolatier and a dedicated coffee station with a signature Organic Coffee blend.
The popular sushi counter has been revamped, and a new Teppanyaki grill bar has been introduced to provide an authentic Asian offering for customers. Social gathering spot Thyme on Nicol has also been refurbished and customers can look forward to a refreshed new menu.
For wine lovers, a new wine cellar features a tasting table to sample local wines, with a wine advisor on hand. Beer enthusiasts can get freshly-poured draught craft beer from the liquor store’s new Growler bar to enjoy at home.
Pick n Pay has expanded its fresh produce, butchery and fishmonger sections, which will be stocked with an improved range of own-brand products. And making it easier for customers to make healthier choices, easy-to-read LiveWell labels have also been introduced to the private label range.
The refurbished Pick n Pay On Nicol flagship boasts the following new features:
• Dedicated plastic and packaging-free fresh produce zone: The store has extended its Nude Wall offering to include 12 new seasonal loose PnP fruit and vegetables. This brings the total nude offering to 24 products. Free paper bags are provided for customers. Alternatively, customers can purchase a PnP reusable netted fresh-produce bags (R7,00) or bring their own clear and sealable container.
• The bakery has been modernised and a new display cabinet allows customers to help themselves. The store’s premium in-store bakery range will include freshly baked artisanal and speciality breads and rolls, as well as a new range of Viennoiserie and patisserie items.
• Extended fishmonger section offers a wide array of fresh, sustainably-sourced fish and frozen options, as well as a fresh mussel and oyster bar.
• Bigger and better gourmet deli and prepared foods section serving a range of ready-to-eat goods, from a fish & chip grill to a new chicken rotisserie section and made to order Burger Grill Bar.
• Cheese corner will with different local, artisanal and international cheeses, as well as lactose-free or vegan cheese.
• Chocolatier station with local artisanal handcrafted chocolate: Pick n Pay has partnered with local bean-to-bar chocolatier, CocoaFair, to showcase and sell their chocolates that are produced using beans sourced directly from farmers and hand-packaged by communities.
• Wellness Zone: This area will offer customers access to patient care from PnP pharmacy staff and provide a full range of clinic services through the MyLife Healthcare Centre. The Wellness Zone will also carry the latest range of health ingredients from superfoods, plant proteins and healthy snacks, as well as health equipment including yoga mats and weights.
• A new, customised wine cellar with over 800 wines, including limited artisan wine ranges made by independent winemakers and wines exclusively made for Pick n Pay by L’Avenir, Le Bonheur and Kaapzicht wineries from Stellenbosch. A wine advisor will be on hand to help customers choose the best wines for all occasions, and there is a designated wine tasting area with regular in-store tastings.
• The Growler Bar in the liquor store will allow customers to fill a 2L glass Growler bottle with fresh draught craft beer to enjoy at home. The Growler will have a barman and offer Redrock Rusty Trigger Lager and Redrock Nine Inch Ale – from a local brewery based in Johannesburg. Customers can buy their Growler (2L bottle) and reuse it.
• Value-added services: PnP On Nicol has added to its current range of services offered at the store to include 'party services' for its Liquor store customers. This includes free glass rental and delivery for orders over R3,000. Customers will continue to have access to PnP’s money counter for bill payments, flights and Webtickets, and financial services offerings, such as TymeBank and PnP Money Transfers.