"Customers can also expect wider aisles and shelves designed with the shopper in mind, whilst the seamless floors mean trolleys make less noise when pushed through the store," says Checkers in a statement.
● Famous Wild Pacific salmon caviar served at the sushi bar;
● Hand-stretched and stone-baked pizzas straight from the wood-fired pizza oven;
● A chocolatier bar with artisanally crafted truffles made from Belgian chocolate combined with top-quality South African ingredients;
● An in-store Kauai with salads, wraps and smoothies;
● A selection of meats and veggies prepared on the imported rodizio grill;
● Freshly-made artisanal breads and pastries from Schoon, as well as a sophisticated new range of confectioneries and luxury cakes;
● A temperature-controlled tasting room with wines from over 100 leading estates, more international wines than any other supermarket as well authentic French champagne and a wide range of Italian prosecco.
Almost 60 new jobs were created with the new store opening, bringing Checkers Hyper Sandton City's full staff complement to 290, of which 225 are women. The store will be managed by seasoned branch manager, Selva Pillay, who joined the Shoprite Group in 1991 and has more than 28 years experience in retail.