The finalists have been announced for the Sunday Times Lifestyle Beer Awards, which celebrates the creators and retailers of local and internationally crafted beers, and will be a guide to the best beers on the market.
The inaugural competition is adjudicated by an expert panel of judges with a formal background in the industry, as well as celebrities and South African personalities who love their beer.
Finalists were decided upon from 81 entries across five awards categories:
• CBC Pilsner (Cape Brewing Company)
• Slow Beer (Darling Brew)
• CBC Amber Weiss (Cape Brewing Company)
• CBC Pale Ale (Cape Brewing Company)
India Pale Ale
• Skeleton Coast (Jack Black’s Brewing Co.)
• Urban Legend (Mad Giant)
Low Alcohol Beer
• Windhoek Light (Sedibeng Brewery)
• Zero To Hero (Devil’s Peak Beer Company)
• Black Mist Orange (Darling Brew)
• Hoegaarden (Hoegaarden Brewery)
The public will have a say in deciding the Beer Awards winner. Consumers are invited to visit the following Makro stores on 13 July 2019, between 11h00-14h00, where they will have an opportunity to taste and vote on their favourites: Makro Woodmead, Johannesburg; Makro Crown Mines, Johannesburg; Makro Silver Lakes, Pretoria; Makro Cornubia, Durban; Makro Montague Gardens, Cape Town and Makro Polokwane.
The winners of the Sunday Times Lifestyle Beer Awards, in partnership with Makro, will be announced at an awards event on 2 August.