Winners of the World Travel Awards (WTA) Africa and Indian Ocean 2018 winners have been announced at a gala ceremony at the Durban International Convention Centre. Winners included South Africa, voted Africa's Leading Destination, while city's like Durban and Cape Town were votes as Africa's Leading City Destination and Africa's Leading Festival & Event Destination respectively.
In the Indian Ocean categories, Mauritius was named Indian Ocean’s Leading Honeymoon Destination
, whilst the Maldives was named Indian Ocean’s Leading Destination
Graham E. Cooke, founder and president, WTA, said: "We have had the privilege of recognising the leading hotels, airlines and hospitality providers from across Africa and the Indian Ocean and my congratulations to each of them."
AviationAviation winners include:
• Africa’s Leading Airline - Ethiopian Airlines
• Africa’s Leading Airline – Business Class - Kenya Airlines
• Africa’s Leading Airline – Economy Class and Africa’s Leading Airport - Cape Town International Airport
In the Indian Ocean, Air Mauritius
• Indian Ocean’s Leading Airline
• Indian Ocean’s Leading Airline – Business Class
• Indian Ocean’s Leading Airline Brand
• Indian Ocean’s Airport Lounge
HospitalityHospitality winners included:
• Africa's Leading Hotel Brand - Hilton Hotels & Resorts
• Africa’s Leading Boutique Hotel - Saxon Hotel, Villas & Spa
• Africa’s Leading Luxury Island - Thanda Island, Tanzania
• Africa’s Leading New Resort - Hilton Cabo Verde Sal Resort
• South Africa’s Leading Business Hotel - Hilton Durban
• Africa’s Leading Sports Resort - Legend Golf Resort & Spa, South Africa
• Africa’s Leading Business Hotel - Transcorp Hilton AbujaOther highlights included
• Africa’s Leading Tourist Board - South Africa Tourism
• Africa’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre - Durban ICC
• Africa’s Leading Meetings & Conference Destination - Durban
• Indian Ocean’s Leading Tourist Board - Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority
The ceremony marked the sixth leg of the WTA Grand Tour 2018 – a series of regional events to acknowledge the world’s outstanding travel brands. Events on the tour include Ras al Khaimah (United Arab Emirates), Athens (Greece), Hong Kong, Guayaquil (Ecuador) and Montego Bay (Jamaica). The regional winners will progress to the Grand Final 2018, which is being hosted in Lisbon (Portugal) on 1 December 2018.
Find a full list of winners
on the WTA.