Synonymous with family holidays, post-matric parties, à la Plett Rage and surf safaris, the small yet vibey seaside town of Plettenberg Bay along the popular Garden Route in the Western Cape is an ideal holiday destination for both families and solo travellers.
The major drawcard of the town is the iconic Central Beach, where many a ‘rage’ and sporting event takes place. In fact, Plettenberg Bay was recently awarded Africa’s Leading Beach Destination
in the 2020 World Travel Awards!
And if it’s the beach that draws you to Plettenberg Bay, The Bungalow Plett - as part of Cape Summer Villas Boutique Collection - is the ideal accommodation option. This luxurious yet laid-back villa is perched right at Hobie Beach, which is adjacent to the main Central Beach.
I recently enjoyed a stay as part of a media trip courtesy of Cape Summer Villas
and Ford South Africa
. Here is what I loved about the accommodation.
Beach views and ocean swims
Offering stunning sea views from the open-style restaurant and rooftop cocktail area and a short skip and hop across the parking lot to the beach for swims and walks, the location of this villa was the selling point for me. Being able to quickly don a costume and literally walk a few paces from room to beach for a refreshing swim was the highlight of my stay. However, if you prefer your swims a little less chilly and salty, there is a cute plunge pool adjacent to the dining area.
Besides a killer location, The Bungalow also offers a vibrant restaurant and bar area offering a small yet fresh à la carte menu, which includes items such as sushi, thin-crust pizza and beer-battered fish and calamari – perfect dining options when you have sand between your toes and ocean views in front of you.
Another highlight of my stay was a prawn braai and Durbanville Hills wine tasting at the cosy boma area at the back of the hotel. This intimate outdoor spot was a perfect place to get to know our hosts a little better over mounds of juicy prawns and excellent wine.
There are seven room options, either sea- or cliff-facing, compact or spacious, yet all luxurious and equipped with all the usual amenities such as DSTV, Nespresso, minibar, fluffy robes and more.
I was lucky enough to stay in The Spot, one of the self-catering options. This luxury villa is a double-story with the main bedroom, open-plan shower and bath area upstairs and kitchen and second bathroom and four sleeping pods – just perfect for kids – below.
There is also a variety of chill areas around the hotel – viewing decks, hammocks and hanging chairs outside most of the rooms offer perfect napping and cocktail-sipping spots.
However, if you are feeling adventurous, The Bungalow also offers an ideal base for aquatic activities such as boating, surfing, bodyboarding, whale watching and even swimming with seals – and is currently offering some great accommodation/activity packages.
All the packages* are for two adults sharing for two nights, with accommodation at either Sky Villa or The Bungalow, including breakfasts and dinners. (*Package 3 is for two adults and two children u/12). Packages are valid till 31 July 2021 (excluding December and January).For more info to book contact Sky Villa Boutique Hotel on 087 550 2967, OR The Bungalow, on 082 077 0260, www.capesummervillas.co.za | www.capesummervillas.co.za/the-bungalow-plett *Ruth Cooper was a guest of Cape Summer Villas and The Bungalow
- Package 1 - Seal the Deal includes up-close experience with Cape fur seals with Offshore Adventures’ ‘Swim with the Seals’ experience - R4,600.
- Package 2 - Stay and Play includes a round of Golf at the signature Gary Player designed 18-hole, 72-par Goose Valley Golf Course, plus Golf Cart. R4,000.
- Package 3* - Family Fun Stay (two adults and two children u/12) includes a trip to Monkeyland, Birds of Eden and the Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary. R5,800.
- Package 4 - Perfect Date includes a bottle of wine and fruit platter on arrival, and a romantic Thai Oil couples’ massage, courtesy of Royal Thai Plett. R4,200.
- Package 5 - Beach to Bush includes a two-hour-long Game Drive at the Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve (Big Five). R4,680.
- Package 6 - Champagne Cruise includes a Champagne cruise down the Keurbooms river and SUP (stand up paddling) courtesy of Sup Keurbooms (SUP). R4,300.