City Lodge Hotel Group once again committed to turning off non-essential lights during Earth Hour from 8.30pm to 9.30pm on Saturday, 27 March 2021. The group saved 293kWh or 15% of the energy usually consumed during this time on a regular Saturday evening.
“We are so proud of our staff at the hotels, who went the extra mile to create a magical atmosphere for guests. Our public areas such as lounges, restaurants and terraces were transformed by candlelight and guests loved being part of this simple yet inspiring worldwide awareness campaign of the many challenges the planet is facing. City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood went so far as to arrange an Easter egg hunt during Earth Hour, much to the delight of our younger guests,” says Lindiwe Sangweni-Siddo, chief operating officer.
The group’s “sustainabili-tree” mirrors its logo, with sustainability integrated into operations and branching off in several directions at once, including:
- Water and energy conservation
- Waste reduction
- Solar power at 25 hotels
- Amenities with no single-use plastics
- Community upliftment projects to help those in need
- Animal anti-cruelty with commitment to cage-free eggs
- Technology to reduce paper while offering safe, contactless operations
- Courtyard Hotel Waterfall City awarded four-star rating for hotel design from the Green Building Council of SA