The South African Guild of Mobility Journalists' (SAGMJ) has revealed the list of winners of the 2021 South African Car of the Year awards. The contest celebrates and rewards automotive excellence in the country.
"The 2021 SA Car of the Year (COTY) had its unique challenges. For the first time in the competition’s history, we did not host our scheduled two-day juror evaluation event. Thankfully, we had the foresight to create an ongoing online scoring system available to all South African Guild of Mobility Journalists’ (SAGMJ) members in 2019 based on scoring criteria that closely mirrored COTY’s voting criteria. The scoring system was initially created to build up a database of vehicles tested, their strengths, weaknesses and to be able to compare them to category contenders," the guild said in a statement.
Additional honours the SAGMJ instituted at their Annual General Meeting held on 26 June 2021 were the Most Admired OEM, which was presented to Stellantis, and the Lifetime PR Achiever’s Award, which was presented to Lindsay Pieterse from BMW. Although these two awards are not officially part of the COTY competition, they are just as prestigious.
The South African Car of the Year category winners are:
- Budget Category: Toyota Starlet
- Compact Category: Hyundai Venue
- Compact Family Category: Peugeot 2008 SUV
- Family Category: Audi A4
- Premium Category: BMW 4 Series
- Adventure Category: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Double Cab Category: Toyota Hilux Double Cab
- Performance Category: Porsche 911 Turbo S
- New Energy Category: Porsche Taycan
- Motor Enthusiast’s Choice: Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Jurors Excellence Award: Peugeot 2008 SUV
The first-place overall winner of the 2021 South African Car of the Year competition is the Peugeot 2008.
The Toyota Hilux Double Cab was placed second, while the BMW 4 Series came third.
Given the lockdown, the 2021 South African Car of the Year winner was announced during a virtual awards ceremony that was streamed live on 27 September 2021.