Dubai's new openings in the first half of 2017 have added a host of new experiences across art, culture, entertainment and dining to its offering. Here's what to look forward to in the second half of 2017:
StayThe Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel
- The Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel is set to be the first holistic wellbeing resort in the Middle East, and will offer an enchanting, immersive travel experience. Located on the East Crescent of Palm Jumeirah, just 30 minutes’ drive from Dubai’s two international airports, the beachfront resort will feature 255 rooms and suites, an executive lounge, a variety of dining venues and the first Rayya Wellness Centre that will offer 360-degree wellness solutions.
Expected opening: August 2017. Al Bandar Rotana and Al Bandar Arjaan by Rotana
- Offering 190 luxurious rooms and suites, this modern and elegantly designed five-star property will provide individual experiences tailored for business people, couples and families alike. Conveniently located on Baniyas Road in Deira, the hotel is close to Dubai Creek and just a few minutes’ drive from Dubai International airport. It will offer four dining outlets, a swimming pool, as well as a Bodylines Fitness and Wellness Club with sauna, steam and massage rooms.
Expected opening: Q3 2017. Renaissance Downtown Hotel
- Located in the city’s vibrant Downtown area, the Renaissance Downtown is set to offer captivating views of the city skyline from its location beside the newly developed Dubai Water Canal, within walking distance of the Burj Khalifa. Guests will be able to embark on a culinary journey to enliven their taste buds at onsite restaurants Morimoto Dubai, Bleu Blanc and Basta! by David Myers. The hotel promises warm, personalised service, coupled with striking contemporary guestrooms with a modern Arabic twist, as well as a sensational Six Senses Spa.
Expected opening: August 2017. Bulgari Hotel
- Designed by Italian architectural firm Antonio Citterio Patricia Viel and Partners, this expansive resort – set to be the world’s fifth Bulgari Hotels and Resorts property – will be located on the exclusive Jumeirah Bay Island, off the coast of Jumeirah Beach Road. Sculpted in the shape of a titanic seahorse, the luxury marine 1.7m square ft complex will be framed by lush landscaped gardens and feature 100 rooms and suites, 20 residential villas and a marina, all accompanied by a full range of luxury amenities.
Expected opening: Q4 2017.
- The UAE’s very first STK venue is scheduled to open at the recently launched Rixos Premium Dubai hotel located in JBR and will offer a modern and upscale twist on the American steakhouse concept combining culinary excellence, a modern ambience and a chic décor. The menu at STK JBR The Walk will include STK staples loved the world over, as well as new offerings that are perfect for the beachfront location.
Expected opening: August 2017.
ExperienceLa Perle by Dragone
- The one-of-a-kind La Perle
theatre, located in the heart of Al Habtoor City, will be the region’s first resident show produced by the world’s most sought-after artistic director, Franco Dragone. The riveting show is set to feature a cast of 65 artists, each of whom brings their own unique set of skills to the performance – ranging from acting and acrobatics to aquatic and aerial stunts. The show promises to mesmerise audiences as the performers dive into an on-stage pool, creating a visually captivating experience both below and above stage level in this state-of-the-art theatre. The show is set to mark a milestone for live entertainment in Dubai and the region, with over 450 performances every year.
Expected opening: 31 August 2017. Dubai Safari Park
- A comprehensive safari experience, Dubai Safari Park
is a massive zoological project that spans over 119-hectares in Dubai’s Al Warqa area. The park is divided into different villages – Asian Village, African Village and Open Safari Village – which will recreate different habitats suitable for its varied and unique wildlife. With a 1,000-seat theatre and a garden for children, visitors can also look forward to a botanical garden, butterfly garden and an amateur golf course, in addition to restaurants and a food court in the park’s Valley and Children’s Park.
Expected opening: Q3 2017. Dubai Frame
- With two 150m-tall towers connected by a 93m bridge at the top, the Dubai Frame
is an imposing architectural landmark that aims to connect the city’s past, present and future. The structure’s bridge serves as an observation deck providing uninterrupted views of Old Dubai to the north and New Dubai to the south. Visitors will begin their journey learning about the history of Dubai in the Past Gallery, then move on to augmented reality-activated screens on the Sky deck level that showcases present-day Dubai, before walking through a specially designed ‘vortex tunnel’ to a virtual metropolis representing the future of Dubai.
Expected opening: October 2017.
ShopThe Dubai Mall’s Fashion Avenue extension
- The Fashion Avenue of The Dubai Mall will add new and personalised flagship stores of the world’s most renowned brands, with the first phase of the expansion adding one million square ft of new space. Shoppers will be able to stroll along foliage-rich walkways and browse premium stores, as well as enjoy a wide new range of F&B additions along Burj Lake and overlooking The Dubai Fountain.
Expected opening: December 2017.