The Gauteng Summer Cup fast facts
The Gauteng Summer Cup, presented by TAB Betting World, returns to Joburg on 30 November 2019. Ahead of the event, we thought we'd share some fun facts about the race day.
11 Nov 2019 17:01
Did you know?
- The Gauteng Summer Cup is Joburg’s oldest race day. It has been running since 1897, just one year after gold was discovered in Turffontein.
- It is the fastest-growing race day in the country. This year, dozens of tents will be packed with thousands of people, many of whom are newly converted racing fans. This makes it the ideal destination for corporate year-ends, as there is a wide variety of hospitality to choose from.
- The Gauteng Summer Cup is a platform for young talent. We invite up-and-coming DJs and artists to present their work to us, and the winners get to perform in front of thousands of visitors on the day, in the newly launched 808 Box area.
- The Gauteng Summer Cup was recently rebranded The People’s Race. Celebrating the diversity that makes Joburg such an exciting place to live, the race caters for all the people of Gauteng, and we make sure there is something for everyone to enjoy on the day.
- As Joburg’s biggest race day, there are a whopping 12 races on the day, featuring the best runners from around the country. The Summer Cup title is a huge coup for the winner.
- The Gauteng Summer Cup is the only race day to feature a half-time show. Just before the main race, 300 performers take over the track, and wow the crowds with a 20-minute show. This year the half-time show will be headlined by Freshlyground.
- Another highlight of the Gauteng Summer Cup is its epic silent disco. One of the most popular areas on the day, it allows racegoers to party the afternoon and night away, without the music interrupting the races.
- The Gauteng Summer Cup is the only major race day to welcome children. In fact, we even have a dedicated Family Zone and a carnival, complete with a massive ferris wheel, for the kids.
- The Gauteng Summer Cup is a highlight on Joburg’s sartorial calendar, and fashionistas look forward to dressing up in their finest to vie for the coveted Best Dressed title. Visitors are also treated to roving fashion shows and splendid displays of #SummerChic outfits.
Date: Saturday 30 November 2019
Gates open at 11am.
Venue: Turffontein Racecourse, 14 Turf Club Street, Johannesburg
Tickets are available via Webtickets.
The Gauteng Summer Cup general ticket is R85 and this will give you access to Turffontein Racecourse. Under 18s pay R20.
For general event information:
az.oc.pucremmusgnetuag@ofni, 073 202 8308
For PR-related enquiries:
az.oc.pucremmusgnetuag@gnitekram, 083 284 2037
Follow the Gauteng Summer Cup: