2021 Innovation Award for Sustainable Food Systems winners announced
2021 Innovation Award for Sustainable Food Systems winners announced

The winners of the 2021 edition of the annual International Innovation Award for Sustainable Food Systems have been announced...

4 Oct 2021

Coffee bean prices have doubled in the past year and may double again - what's going on?
Coffee bean prices have doubled in the past year and may double again - what's going on?

International Coffee Day feels very different this year. Introduced by the International Coffee Organization (ICO) on 1 October 2015 to raise awareness of the product...

By Jonathan Morris 1 Oct 2021

Nestlé opens its largest R+D Accelerator
Nestlé opens its largest R+D Accelerator

Nestlé's global R+D Accelerator network was launched in 2019 to provide a platform for startups, students and Nestlé intrapreneurs to bring highly differentiated innovations to the market at speed...

2 Sep 2021

Source: Tiger Brands
Tiger Brands exits Nigeria with sale of UAC Foods shareholding

Tiger Brands is disposing of its 49% minority shareholding in UACF Foods to parent company UAC of Nigeria, which holds the remaining 51% stake...

30 Aug 2021

Côte d'Ivoire's Noël N'guessan wins 2021 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation
Côte d'Ivoire's Noël N'guessan wins 2021 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation

Noël N'guessan, a chemical engineer from Côte d'Ivoire, has been named the winner of the Royal Academy of Engineering's 2021 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation...

9 Jul 2021

Feeding Africa from Africa: Smallholder farmers to leverage on AfCFTA
Feeding Africa from Africa: Smallholder farmers to leverage on AfCFTA

Senamiso Ndlovu, 32, is a smallholder farmer with big food production dreams. The seed of her farming ambitions is the growing urban food demand...

By Busani Bafana 14 Jun 2021

Big irrigation projects in Africa have failed to deliver. What's needed next
Big irrigation projects in Africa have failed to deliver. What's needed next

In 1938, French colonial authorities in what is today Mali started on an ambitious infrastructure plan to transform the desert into an area of agricultural production...

By Tom Higginbottom, Roshan Adhikari and Timothy Foster 10 Jun 2021

Michel Doukeris to succeed Carlos Brito as AB InBev CEO
Michel Doukeris to succeed Carlos Brito as AB InBev CEO

Brito will step down after 15 years as CEO and 32 years at the company...

6 May 2021

International food prices continue to rise in April
International food prices continue to rise in April

FAO Food Price Index posts 11th consecutive monthly increase, new forecasts point to growth in world wheat and maize output...

6 May 2021

Food Lover’s Market CEO Brian Coppin with TVMA founder Mmabatho Portia Morudi
The Village Market Africa triumphs in Food Lover's Seeds of Change initiative

The Village Market Africa is the winner of Food Lover's Market's Seeds of Change Supplier Development Partnership, launched to create an opportunity for social enterprises to join the retailer's supplier network...

28 Apr 2021

Blockchain could play an important role in future agriculture and food security
Blockchain could play an important role in future agriculture and food security

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has further destabilized global food chains supplies. Technological innovations like blockchain can help address these challenges...

By Abdul-Rahim Abdulai, Carling Bieg, Evan Fraser and Sarah Marquis 16 Apr 2021

Global food prices rise for 10th consecutive month
Global food prices rise for 10th consecutive month

Vegetable oils drive FAO's Food Price Index higher in March while cereal quotations dip...

8 Apr 2021

RCL in joint venture to scale plant-based food market in Africa
RCL in joint venture to scale plant-based food market in Africa

RCL Foods and US plant-based food collective Livekindly Collective have established a local plant-based joint venture, Livekindly Collective Africa...

18 Mar 2021

Scaling up bioenergy production could substantially raise water stress - new study
Scaling up bioenergy production could substantially raise water stress - new study

According to a new study, biomass plantations for energy production need sustainable water management in order to avoid a substantial increase in water scarcity.

12 Mar 2021

Let's do Biz