|Get jobs on your |
|Location:||Cape Town, Tokai|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
|Company:||Anchor Executive Recruitment|
Job descriptionThis well-established Faith-Based Non-Profit organisation in Cape Town, is working within the sphere of Environmental Protection and Supporting Social Justice through sustainable food control and climate management. They are seeking to appoint an experienced Co-ordinator, who can advocate for food and climate justice, and implement ethical, socially and environmentally just food system governance.
This programme aims to:
- Build awareness and capacity of faith communities and ‘champions’ on food systems and their cultural and faith importance, as well as the impacts of industrialisation of our food systems on animal, human, environment, climate, and overall health.
- Support the food and climate movement through existing networks, including the Alliance For Food Sovereignty in Africa (AFSA), Energy Governance South Africa (EG-SA), Councils of Churches in Southern Africa, ACT Ubumbano Hub, as well as informal climate, animal justice and food networks; and promote agro-ecology, through leveraging partners’ advocacy activities and information sharing on joint campaigns to wider faith communities and civil society networks.
- Tackle key industrial food system policies and practices in South Africa, such as caging animals to intensify farming, industrial monoculture approaches, and advocate for ethical and transparent food production systems, and consumer awareness, and showcase alternative practices that are in harmony with human and Earth.
- Research and Resource Development, including investigation into socially and environmentally ethical production standards for South Africa, and on the ways in which commercial production operations could be ethically governed
- Oversight of the production of a policy paper
- Map governance mechanisms, in relation to food and climate justice in order to identify where there are (or not) policy frameworks and implementation of policies and compliance.
- Liaise with other staff, external consultants and relevant parties, to provide food and climate justice resources, including leaflets, posters, liturgical material, videos.
- Faith Leader Training and Follow-on Support, and Recruit faith leaders (with an emphasis on women and young people) from many faiths, for training on food systems, and the impacts of industrialisation on animal, human, environment, and climate health.
- Produce campaign and promotional materials.
- Advocacy - Track and influence food and climate policies (govt and others) and collective commitments of different faith communities;
- Ensure strategic partnerships are developed by faith leaders with faith communities, NGOs and CSOs in the Southern African region.
- Communications - Support the Communications Coordinator in sourcing, writing, and generating stories for media, newsletters, website and social media, and by collecting photographs;
- Initiate and promote petitions and mobilise volunteers to carry out campaigns that promote agro-ecology and food sovereignty;
- Raise awareness in faith communities of the unsustainable and unethical nature of our industrial food systems.
- Relationship Building/Networking - Help organise public, multi-faith celebrations (around food and climate-related days and religious holidays), including engagement in GreenActionWeek.
- Project Administration - Monitor the project budget, expenditure and undertake such administrative tasks as may be required for the effective functioning of the project, and write Project Administration as required
Company DescriptionANCHOR EXECUTIVE RECRUITMENT has been appointed to source and submit candidates to the client in terms of the above requirements.
- Degree in environment or similar
- Excellent written and verbal skills particularly in English
- Strong computer skills and presentation capacity
- Must be aligned to a Faith Based organisation - not necessarily specific religion.
- Must be happy to undertake a one-year contract - possibly renewable if funding is forthcoming but not guaranteed at this stage
- Own transport essential
Posted on 18 Apr 12:19