Lecturer – Graphic Design
Role: Full-Time lecturer – graphic designEmployment Type
|Location:||Cape Town, Salt River|
|Remote work:||Some remote work allowed|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
|Company:||Red & Yellow|
: Independent contract or fixed-term contract for one year (Overtime may be required as necessary)Probation
: Three monthsJob level
: Market RelatedLocation
: Red & Yellow Campus, Cape Town Salt RiverJob summary
This is a really exciting opportunity to step into a role within our Academic team within one of South Africa’s pre-eminent marketing and advertising schools and really make it your own.
We are looking for an experienced, passionate Graphic Design lecturer, to teach and mentor the next generation of Red & Yellow game changers at our Cape Town campus. As a lecturer in your field of expertise, you will take full responsibility for the academic performance and functioning of your programme.
You will be required to work closely with the Heads of the Department and the lecturing team to maintain, develop and grow Red &Yellow’s respected programme offering. Red & Yellow offers flexible schedules and a competitive salary.
The Red & Yellow Brand is well-loved and well-known within the South African marketing and advertising community and following its recent acquisition by Honoris United Universities (the first and largest pan-African university network), it is now set to radically ramp up its presence and activity within South Africa and expand through the Honoris network across the continent.
Duties and Responsibilities This position will require, but is not limited, to the following activities:
Why work at Red and Yellow?
- The convenorship and lecturing of Graphic Design and other related modules depending on experience and student numbers our Bachelor of Arts: Visual Communications and Higher Certificate: Graphic Design courses.
- Develop the curriculum for your modules aligned to Red & Yellow’s teaching style, including, but not limited to, lesson planning, tutorial content and planning, tests, assessments and exams
- Lecture and conduct tutorials as part of the full-time programme offering
- Participate in the monitoring & evaluation of the academic programme, including attendance and maintenance of student records
- Liaise with academic colleagues/relevant industry contacts to ensure ongoing development and relevance
- Participate in the annual upgrade of programme content, where relevant
- Conduct, marking and moderation processes, participating in internal and external moderation processes where necessary
- Participate in student application and registration processes, where relevant
- Participate in examination and certification processes and promotion of students
- Attend regular staff meetings and relevant faculty events
- Ensure both hard and electronic filing of all required documentation, including tracking and reporting on at-risk students
- Participate in student grievance & disciplinary sessions, where relevant
- Lecture in accordance with the requirements of the programme outcomes and in accordance with the accredited programme outlines
- Benchmarking of programme offerings against other relevant higher education institutions
- Adhere to centralised policies and procedures that ensure outstanding quality and unquestionable integrity of all academic programmes that are offered
- Assist with relevant marketing activities for the school (i.e. Open days etc.)
Life at Red & Yellow is fast-paced, technicoloured and full energy. We’re a School with serious ambition and a Global vision – we want to be The Most Creative Business School in the World, and we are working hard to achieve this. As a result, we are growing very fast, innovating and experimenting constantly, and always looking for ways to improve ourselves and our courses for the benefit of our students.
For you, this translates as follows:
Behavioural and Cultural Competencies and Attributes
- Our working environment is diverse, casual and fun, and full of quirky personalities, oddballs, nerds and geeks. But they all have one thing in common: a passion for changing the world through education, and a tremendous sense of community and purpose in working as part of a team of incredible talent that is punching well above its weight
- Fast-pace, growth and innovation mean that there is no shortage of upward and horizontal growth opportunities for people who perform and ask for opportunities to develop themselves and try new things. Our people get a lot of responsibility and trust and develop quickly
- Our people get to work alongside our executives and senior managers from Day 1, and so have enormous opportunity to learn from them directly
- We are all about constant curiosity – all of our online courses are free for our staff, and their friends and family get discounts.
Experience and qualifications
- A real “future-thinker” – a considered, intelligent, collaborative forward-thinker, with a genuine passion for education
- Love working with people, and take pride in seeing them flourish and excel. An excellent, empathetic and patient listener
- Excellent negotiation skills – direct and forceful without damaging relationships or causing conflict
- Curious – you love learning and experiencing new things
- A brave problem-solver; approachable yet assertive, and a highly effective communicator
- Deadline driven
- Honours degree, Master’s degree in the graphic design field preferred.
- Suitable candidates should have a focus on following areas: motion graphics, branding, a wide array of typography, interaction design, communication design, publication design conceptual and physical object making
- Minimum five years teaching experience in a tertiary environment
- Minimum five years industry experience in the subject area
- A network of industry or academic professionals to offer students practical and real-world exposure
- Evidence of creative and practical pedagogical practices previously used
- Proven leadership experience
- Technology savvy
- Strong communication skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to lead, command, inspire and contribute to Red & Yellow’s vision
- Self-driven and motivated with excellent administrative and time management skills
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Google Docs, Spreadsheets and Presentation tools
- Proven competency in driving collaborative academic-industry initiatives
- Ability to work as part of a team in a dynamic environment
If you feel you’ve got what it takes to join Red & Yellow, we want to hear from you! Please forward your CV, proof of academic qualifications and a motivation letter aligning yourself to the requirements to az.oc.wolleydnader@sreerac
as soon as possible.Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the employment equity act.
Posted on 23 Nov 09:36, Closing date 22 Jan