|Get jobs on your |
|Own transport required:||Yes|
Job descriptionSECTION27 is a high-profile non-profit organisation that uses public interest law and advocacy to protect, promote and advance human rights and social justice. If you are passionate about human rights, self-motivated and would like to be part of a dynamic team working to challenge inequality and positively influence society, joining SECTION27 could be the opportunity you have been looking for.
Our activities include litigation, research and advocacy to advance and promote the rule of law. We focus on protecting everyone’s right of access to health care services, basic education and sufficient food, as guaranteed by the Constitution.
SECTION27 seeks to appoint an Attorney, based in Johannesburg
- Attorney (with admission in the High Court) with at least three years’ post-admission experience. Knowledge and skills
- Experience in High Court litigation.
- Knowledge of human rights and public interest law will be advantageous.
- Experience and knowledge of health law and policy will be advantageous.
- Project management skills, including planning and report writing skills.
- Communication, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Writing, analytical and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in (or working towards learning) one or more indigenous South African languages is highly desirable.
- Driver’s licence is essential.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure.
- Extremely organised and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Willingness to travel.
- Investigate the merits of possible cases and conduct necessary research to support interventions.
- Work with community organisers, activists, and partners to collect data and relevant materials for cases.
- Consult with clients.
- Brief and consult with counsel.
- Draft legal papers.
- Monitor progress of cases.
- Drafting legal submissions and opinions.
- Conduct research and analysis.
- Keep abreast of legal developments that are relevant to the work of SECTION27.
- Publish articles and opinion pieces.
- Build and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders and clients.
- Engage with government and private actors.
- Liaising with media.
- Participate in team activities. This includes team meetings as well as monthly staff meetings.
- Organisational reviews and planning as well as other meetings that relate to the work of SECTION27.
- Teaching, training and public education including presentations at conferences.
- Advocacy activities including assisting with public mobilisation.
Please forward your curriculum vitae accompanied by a motivation as to why you are interested in and suitable for the position to by 20 July 2018. Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Posted on 21 Jun 15:51